Saturday, March 29, 2008

The Worst Taste In Music


Ah, shoegaze. Back when I did my first in-person interview (which became a feature that's still one of my favorites), I brought up the oft-maligned genre. I figured Mahogany, the band in question, would take their genre in stride, and maybe offer up some good recommendations. Instead, they completely rejected the idea that the category was still around. I can't agree with that, but I recall that they listed off a few bands that, as they put it, would be shoegaze if the thing still existed. Whether or not it does (I think it does), the Radio Dept. was one of those bands, and it's taken me over a year to get to them.

It's really pretty, of course, but less in the breathless feedback vein and more in the subdued, melancholy Swedish pop way. There's gotta be a little tongue in cheek here as well, unless, I guess, "he" really does have the worst taste in music. If you like it, check out their synthy 2006 album Pet Grief, and probably their better reviewed 2003 album Lesser Matters. Major kudos to Swerve and Swirl over at WNYU for the tipping me off on this song, and for keeping the dream (pop) alive.

MP3: The Radio Dept. - The Worst Taste In Music
MySpace: The Radio Dept.
Official Site: The Radio Dept.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...