Saturday, March 24, 2007

Drukqs: Morcheeba at La Boule Noire


Hey. Sorry things have been quiet over the last few days; it's been quite a week. I'm sure some of you have run into MyDataBus bandwidth troubles, and I apologize for the inconvenience, but if it isn't available today, try again tomorrow. I'm shuffling hosts at the moment, and if anyone has info on a particularly good one, please let me know. If you really need a set, feel free to contact me and I'll get it to you somehow.

I've been recommended Morcheeba from virtually the instant I got into trip-hop, and it's a shame I didn't pick up on them earlier. The first Morcheeba album I've heard, Big Calm, is a collection of accessible, upbeat songs, which is a bit of a respite from their more languid peers, and it's great stuff. Singer Skye Edwards' smooth delivery is especially fantastic, and the various genres present on the album all serve to complement her voice.

Unfortunately, the band has gone through a bit of an identity crisis since, working with a various vocalists in recent years, but this set represents an early peak. It's a stripped down, acoustic rendition of some of the highlights of Big Calm, as well as their first album, Who Can You Trust, ala, say, recent Portishead. It was recorded in June of 1998 in La Boul Noire France, and broadcast on OuiFM.

Enjoy:

1. The Sea
2. Part of the Process
3. Col
4. Blindfold
5. Let Me See
6. Moog Island
7. Over and Over
8. Fear and Love

Who(m) Do You Pay: Here

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...