Sunday, February 04, 2007

Citrus: Pulp at Glastonbury Festival


A couple months ago, Jarvis Cocker was just the co-author of the songs of Charlotte Gainsbourg's lovely 5:55, as well as having some vague membership in some band called Pulp. I guess nothing's really changed since then, but becoming somewhat familiar with his material really heightens my appreciation for him. Upon hearing that Jarvis was touring in support of his recent solo release, as well as appearing on the new Air album, I figured it was about time I gave Pulp a chance. I went with the acclaimed This Is Hardcore, and I enjoyed it quite a bit.

I guess the band is considered Britpop, but there's definitely a darker element to this album, akin to the melancholy that pervades the otherwise soothing 5:55. While the hooks, often derived from Jarvis' impressive vocals, make their songs accessible and appealing, but it's this undercurrent that makes them really interesting. I'll definitely investigate the rest of their catalogue, as well as the solo effort Jarvis.

Here's the band's appearance at the Glastonbury Festival on June 28th, 1998, featuring a bunch of material from the aforementioned This Is Hardcore. Unfortunately, track two is missing, but the strength of the other tracks makes for a great set.

Enjoy:

1. The Fear
2. ?
3. I'm A Man
4. Live Bed Show
5. Seduction Barry
6. Sorted for E's & Wizz
7. TV Movie
8. A Little Soul
9. Party Hard
10. Help The Aged
11. F.E.E.L.I.N.G.C.A.L.L.E.D.L.O.V.E
12. This Is Hardcore
13. Glory Days

Squeeze: Here

3 comments:

Vanilla Ice said...

i love pulp!

#_# said...

Question, where did you get the code for your "Playlistism" element? I've seen that feature elsewhere (most notably Largehearted Boy) and I'd like to incorporate it.

Anonymous said...

great show, i absolutely love this band although yr missing the last track, Common People!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...