Saturday, February 17, 2007

The Past That Suits You Best: Lush in London


A couple of people have asked for the Lush Black Session that I posted a while ago. Unfortunately, while I've gotten my external hard drive back, everything on it was wiped. That's a roundabout way of saying that I don't have the mp3s anymore, and I would greatly appreciate it if anyone that has them could get them back to me. I'd eventually like to have everything on this blog always available, and look for some sort of aggregate post during this long weekend.

So Lush has grown on me, not so much in their shoegazing incarnation, but more as a peppy, fun pop-rock group. While their songs deal with relationships in a somewhat frivolous way, it's a nice break from all the melodrama. Lead singer Miki Berenyi, despite being of Hungarian and Japanese ancestry, has a pretty Anglo-fied delivery, and while it's not as melodic as some of her dreamier contemporaries, it's pretty appealing. I was intrigued to read that she appears on the album of the Rentals, the project of T&S collaborator Matt Sharp. Apparently she'll also contribute to Seinking Ships' release. And hey, the way the year has been so far, we'll hopefully have a Lush reunion any day now.

Here's a nice little set that pretty much encapsulates the less-gaze, more-pop mentality of the band towards the later part of their career. It was recorded at the Electric Ballroom in Camden, London on April 3rd, 1996.

Enjoy:

1. Lovelife
2. 500 (Shake Baby Shake)
3. Heavenly Nobodies
4. Single Girl
5. Kiss Chase
6. De-Luxe
7. Last Night
8. For Love
9. Ladykillers

Lushlife: Here

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mmmm... A Lush reunion might be something some of us would love in a perfect world but I think you might find that without Chris Acland (RIP, Chris), the other members would be somewhat hesitant in trying to recreate themselves. I say listen to the music they gave us and see where that takes you. It does it for me.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...