Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Interlude: I Wanna Be Your Dog


Despite the Spanish-tinge, El Perro del Mar is yet another Swedish export. It's the musical vehicle for singer-songwriter Sarah Assbring, who brought along her acoustic guitar for tonight's in-store. Major thanks and kudos to Other Music for consistently bringing us great in-stores, even through the cold winter months. Incidentally, Sarah's first U.S. appearance was just last November, in what must have been a fantastic show at Joe's Pub with Emilie Simon. Unfortunately, I heard of Emilie a few weeks after the fact.


But it seems that El Perro's previous appearance - along with a little help from the internet - has cultivated a strong following. The line to the in-store stretched from Other Music's doorway to the cusp of Lafayette street, no mean feat. There's a sadness to her music that would seem to dissuade such widespread appeal, and her onstage persona was quite sombre, but she's clearly connecting with a lot of people.

But I'm not a believer yet. There's definitely been a lack of effort on my part, as I haven't really given her studio work enough time, but with respect to that, there hasn't really been that hook, musical or otherwise, to draw me in. Unfortunately, the set doesn't really propel me to investigate. It was a bit short, I think around four songs, and there's an unfortunate amount of repetition in her lyrics. However, this sort of music seems like it would grow on me, so I'm sure I'll revisit it at some point.


MP3: El Perro Del Mar - God Knows (You Gotta Give To Get)
MySpace: Here
Official Site: Here
Buy: Here

1 comment:

F.H. said...

love the einsturzende neubauten Lp on the wall!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...