Thursday, February 01, 2007

Yesterday Was Dramatic: M83 at Saint-Malo


As promised, here's a live set from M83. I guess France's fascination with electronica has been pretty well documented, but these guys (well, guy, as it's now just Anthony Gonzalez) do something pretty unique. Much as Morr artists infuse their indietronica with shoegaze influences, M83 does the same with their keyboard-based sound. The distinction is that the former preserve shoegaze's introverted, distorted outlook, while M83 concentrates on overloading your ears. The track I posted, "Teen Angst," is a great example of this maxim, but as with most music I'm into, there's also a strong sense of melody.

This set is kinda tricky. It was recorded at La Route Du Rock in Saint-Malo, France on August 12th, 2001, so it's not the best indication of the current state of M83. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any contemporary live stuff from the band floating around, with one exception; although I wasn't able to get my hands on it, you can also stream their KCRW performance. I'm also not sure of the names of these tracks, so if anyone could clarify, I'd be much obliged.

Enjoy:

1. Part I
2. Part II
3. Part III
4. Part IV
5. Part V

$: Here

1 comment:

#_# said...

I'm listening to Red Seas, Dead Cities and Lost Ghosts right now for the first time and it is blowing me away. The MBV comparisons definitely hold up, but it's not an attempted ripoff. Definitely quality nugaze.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...